Monday, August 2, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes

There is a quote by Kelly Ripa of “Live with Regis and Kelly” that has stuck with me for a couple years. In an interview with Fitness magazine she said, “I never want my daughter to hear me say ‘Do I look fat in this?’” This came back to haunt me yesterday in a dressing room at Target, except it had a different angle.

I took Savannah clothes shopping. I was also trying on a few things myself in an effort to cover up my “post baby bump.” I was a little frustrated that the items I liked didn’t fit in a size I was comfortable with and made my boobs look like I’m the ice cream replacement at the local Dairy Queen. I kept telling myself that the sizes ran small and the next store would be better.

But while we tried on clothes together at Target Savannah hit me with something that I needed…a dose of reality.

“Wow, Mom. You’ve got a lot of fat now.” She was completely stunned to see me this way. When she saw the look on my face, which was probably mortification, she quickly said, “But you just had a baby and it’s empty in there, so it just looks fat.” No, Sweetie, it doesn’t look fat. It IS fat. I was so embarrassed. I've always wanted to be a role model for my kids, especially my girls, but there I was struggling to button some pants with my daughter staring at my belly. What a great role model, huh?

Yes, I realize I just had a baby nine weeks ago and I know it’s too soon to be back to my pre-pregnancy weight, but the scale has gone up the last three weeks while I validate my extra snacking with breastfeeding and my lack of exercise with fatigue and needy kids. So I’ve decided to put it all out there, despite the embarrassment.

You see, I feel this is worse than all the other bad habits I’ve admitted to on this blog. This involves my health and confidence, which affects my family, and kids learn by what you do, not what you say.

My blog won’t turn into a diet and fitness blog, but I will keep you posted on how I’m doing through my tears, frustration, and, hopefully, my accomplishments. Maybe this, and Savannah's occasional slips, will hold me accountable.

2 comments:

  1. You know what, the truth is babies wreck our bodies. It's just a simple fact. You ARE a role model in that you're breast feeding your baby and being a good mom! Be comfortable in your own skin, that's really being a good role model! You are so much more than your pant size. Make sure your daughters know that! P.S. I'm an old fan of "Pat Boyack & The Prowlers", from Indianapolis. When Pat finally "friended" me on face book and I saw your picture, I told Pat, man, your wife is gorgeous, you really married UP! Pat, by the way seems very, very proud of you! Keep on with the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy. It's good to "meet" you! Thanks so much for your compliment (You made my day!) and your comment. I agree that we are more than our pants size. You and a couple emails I received have me thinking about this a little more.

    ReplyDelete