Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Case of the Missing Jacket….AND Sweater….AND….

Savannah has a real knack for losing clothing items. Namely, any sweater, jacket, or sweatshirt she wears. Let’s go down the list, shall we? Or at least a partial list.

First stop, Kindergarten - We purchased the expensive red sweater that goes with her school uniform that was supposedly the only sweater she was allowed to wear in class. We paid extra to have her initials embroidered on the pocket, which was recommended by the school.
MIA two weeks into that fall.
Lost & found produced nothing and our faith in embroidered initials was zapped.

First grade – We saw the demise of the denim jacket her grandparents gave her for Christmas. Super cute!
Gone after a month of wear.
No sign of it in lost & found.

Next up, Second grade - I purchased the school sweatshirt for her in lieu of the red sweater. I put her name on the tag and everything. No embroidery, though.
Vanished after 2 or 3 wears.
Came up with a big, fat nothing again in lost & found.

Third grade - She was given another shot at the school sweatshirt. This time it was gone the first day. The following day the teacher actually went with her to lost and found and located one in her size with no one’s name on it. We all agreed that was good enough.
She actually kept this one through fourth grade. We were so proud.

This brings us to the current year, fifth grade, and what an exciting year it’s been.

First up, Savannah lost a windbreaker. This supposedly went missing in the back of her best friend’s car. Ummm, yeah. And it decomposed into the floorboard?

Next comes her mother’s, *ahem* my, pink Liz Claiborne sweater. I thought I looked cute in it, but Savannah trumped me with adorable, so she wore it. What the hell was I thinking??? She lost it in a month’s time, but discovered it the next day in lost and found. Excellent! I gave her another shot. She lost it again, and once more was lucky and found it. Third times the charm, though, because she lost it again right before Christmas, except this time it was gone for good.

Now she wears cheap-o sweaters that I’ve purchased for her, and I mean cheap. She wears them, but doesn’t like them. Being the sucker I am I allowed her to wear my Calvin Klein denim jacket. I LOVE this jacket. Pat bought it for me two years ago when I asked for a denim jacket for Christmas, but I had made it very clear that I wanted one that was fitted, not just a box because I need all the help I can get. That man went out and done good. It’s so pretty and made beautifully for a woman’s body. I told Savannah she could wear it, but NOT to school. I wasn’t about to risk losing this jacket. She was only allowed to wear it to church and on errands with me or her father so we can keep an eye on it.

Well…

She wore it to church last Sunday and came home empty handed. I called my sister asking her to check for it. Not there. Surely it’s in lost and found, she said. I mean, this is church, right?

Lo and behold!.....I have my jacket back. It was given to the youth director to hold because my husband purchased such a young and hip item for his semi-young, but still hip wife. Who ever found it thought it had to belong to someone in the youth group. I’m rocking that bad boy out today and feeling so spiffy. (Would a teen say “spiffy?”)

And, Savannah, I love you, but you’re not touching it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment